Friday, April 6, 2012

Frostbite (Vampire Academy #2)

If you have not read Vampire Academy: Slight Spoiler Warning
To read my review of Vampire Academy Book #1 Go HERE


Paperback, 327 pages
 Published April 10th 2008 by Razorbill
ISBN: 1595141758 (ISBN13: 9781595141750)
Edition language:English
original title: Frostbite
 Series:Vampire Academy #2
Rose loves Dimitri, Dimitri might love Tasha, and Mason would die to be with Rose...

It’s winter break at St. Vladimir’s, but Rose is feeling anything but festive. A massive Strigoi attack has put the school on high alert, and now the Academy’s crawling with Guardians—including Rose’s hard-hitting mother, Janine Hathaway. And if hand-to-hand combat with her mom wasn’t bad enough, Rose’s tutor Dimitri has his eye on someone else, her friend Mason’s got a huge crush on her, and Rose keeps getting stuck in Lissa’s head while she’s making out with her boyfriend, Christian! The Strigoi are closing in, and the Academy’s not taking any risks... This year, St. Vlad’s annual holiday ski trip is mandatory.

But the glittering winter landscape and the posh Idaho resort only create the illusion of safety. When three friends run away in an offensive move against the deadly Strigoi, Rose must join forces with Christian to rescue them. But heroism rarely comes without a price...

Usually when I read a series, they are either steadily good/great, or gradually/rapidly declining.  It was amazing to come across a series that so dramatically INCREASED in my view just by the second book.


I am super happy to say I am now a Vampire Academy fan !


If you read my review of book #1 you will remember I said I had to put it down many times and keep coming back to it. That while it was enjoyable. SOMETHING seemed to be missing. This was not the case with Frostbite. I sat down to read around midnight, I was done around 3am. I could .. not..stop..reading!


The characters seem to come more into their own. - Though Lissa is still a bit absent in this story, I liked her a little bit more for growing more of a spine and standing up for herself and her beliefs. Rose, though still a little annoying at times, Definitely grew into a stronger character and I still loved her witty attitude. Though.. I have a hard time putting up with how she handles her love interests.. I can at the same time, understand why she does what she does. I'm not a "teen" now.. but I remember high school.. and I definitely acted like her at times when it came to guys. So in that aspect it was the believability that helped me continue to enjoy her character.


We get to see more of Mason and Christian in this story! Both great characters, and have a strong impact on Rose and Lissa.


Dimitri ... Oh Dimitri.. He wouldn't be too old for me ;) but I still have a hard time being ok with the "relationship" between him and Rose. Though, with the way this story is written, and the culture that they have both grown up with.. i can see it being more ok than well.. current ? I think once she hits 18 I will be more ok with it ( Just a personal opinion )


We meet a new character. Adrian.. he is one of those Bad boys you love to have love/hate feelings for lol. Snarky/fun comments, swoon worthy actions.. but at the same time you just want to smack him! ;)


There is Definitely some swoon worthy moments in this one! As well as some WTH?! ones.
We get to learn more about the Strigoi and Moroi and their powers, and get some good action/ thriller scenes as well!


All in All Frostbite was a HUGE step up for me. Now I am Impatiently awaiting having # 3 in my hands!


Rating: 4/5 ! 


What are your thoughts? Have you read Vampire academy #1? Or the whole series? If you have read the whole series do you feel that it continues to progress and get better?
 

6 comments:

  1. I love Vampire Academy! Didn't read Frostbite though! :) I love Mason, and Adrian!

    And I'm completely on board with the whole Rose and Dimitri thing . Yeah, yeah. Blah, blah, blah they love each other but she's still young. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't seem to get into this author's writing but I know how popular they are Good review though! :)
    -Kimberly @ Turning The Pages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think everyone has those series that are super popular, but they just can't get into. It happens!

      Delete
  3. I love this series! Keep going. It gets better :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love VA series, but Frosbite ending make me sad :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe there are people who still haven't read VA. It's the best series in YA world. At least it is to me.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments :) Feedback,recommends, you name it !