Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Born Wicked by Jessica Spotswood


Everybody knows Cate Cahill and her sisters are eccentric. Too pretty, too reclusive, and far too educated for their own good. But the truth is even worse: they’re witches. And if their secret is discovered by the priests of the Brotherhood, it would mean an asylum, a prison ship—or an early grave.

Before her mother died, Cate promised to protect her sisters. But with only six months left to choose between marriage and the Sisterhood, she might not be able to keep her word... especially after she finds her mother’s diary, uncovering a secret that could spell her family’s destruction. Desperate to find alternatives to their fate, Cate starts scouring banned books and questioning rebellious new friends, all while juggling tea parties, shocking marriage proposals, and a forbidden romance with the completely unsuitable Finn Belastra.

If what her mother wrote is true, the Cahill girls aren’t safe. Not from the Brotherhood, the Sisterhood—not even from each other.

 Here are a couple thoughts I had While reading Born Wicked:

@ 29%: Beautifully written! Loving the historical feel and so much more!
@100%: *Turns last page, closes book. Stares in AWE.* I.. Need.. MORE!

Why were there only 2 thoughts/updates? Because I finished the book in 1 sitting! I could not bear to tear myself away from reading it any more. 

I don't know how to begin describing how I feel about this book. It was just so wonderful! It's been awhile since I read a book about witchcraft that didn't feel like it had a layer of "fluff" surrounding it. Or wasn't so immersed in the dark aspects of witchcraft that it let the rich and beautiful aspect of it disappear. 

Basically how I feel about this story is.. the same as how I feel when I look at the cover ( the original not the paperback ) It was rich, it was romantic, it was a little edgy, and I just loved it. 

Sadly I read this book near the beginning of   2012, and was just, unable to put my thoughts into words. So now, very specific things that I loved about it, are not as sharp in my mind for me to share with you. But I will tell you this. The Characters are amazing. They are well rounded and loveable, or hateable when needed. I swooned for a guy, I sighed with the girls. The scenes are rich, rich with story and detail... There is a swoony scene.. in a closet.. it involves feathers ;) - It was GORGEOUS .. or at least, how it played out in my head was lol.

One of my favorite elements that Jessica added to this story is one that is still not very prominent in YA literature, so I applaud her profusely for having the nerve to add it in, and for doing it so perfectly! There is a Kissy scene/ relationship! And it's two girls! - I will tell no more! Must let it be a surprise for you!
 *Now please, do NOT let this put you off if it bothers you, to each their own.  It is not a Huge part of the story. But adds to it in a wonderful way. 

Jessica Spotswood was a 2012 Debut with Born Wicked. I said it then and I will say it now.. watch of for this author!  

Rating: 5/5 
 






15 comments:

  1. I just started reading this book, I love the writing and stuff too, it's really well done

    Jess @ Addicted To Novels

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy you enjoyed it! And love that you also talked to me on twitter! It was great to share in your joy! .. Cannot wait for book 2 !

      Delete
  2. I freaking loved this book especially the feather scene. Gah! I want to go back and re-read it now. Like you, it was hard for me to put into words how awesome this book was. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone who understands me! lol Yes.. that scene was my absolute favorite!

      Delete
  3. I still need to read this one! I haven't read a witchcraft book in awhile so maybe this one will change all that. :)

    ~Sara @ Forever 17 Books

    ReplyDelete
  4. OHHH! FABULOUS REVIEW! I haven't found a good witch-y book and this sounds so awesome! I find witch books like exactly what you said, "fluffy". And omg, you sneaky thing! Just telling us enough but leave out the good part! What is that kissy/relationship scene with the two girls?! :O Evil! ;P

    Just adored your review! <33 Can't wait for more! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He he he ... that was so much fun!.. Sorry if i'm tormenting you, but go read the book and all will be well!

      Delete
  5. This book has been on my TBR list for a while now. I actually received the book last year, but haven't had the chance to actually read it yet. I love how this review can tell me how much you truly enjoyed the story. I know what it's like to finish a book and just want to gush about everything the author did well and originally and how amazing certain scenes were. I'm also really curious about the female/female relationship. The only book(s) I've seen it in, where it didn't play a huge role but was brilliantly written in, was Libba Bray's Gemma Doyle trilogy.

    I can't wait to check this out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh really? Gonna have to go look into that Trilogy now! Thanks for sharing and I'm glad my review got you interested!

      Delete
  6. Someone just recommended this to me, but after reading your review I'm more excited to actually try it. I didn't know there was a romance in it and I'm glad to hear the characters are easily likeable. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And oh it's a beautiful romance :) Hope you enjoy it! And a high five to whoever recommend it first!

      Delete
  7. I still need to get around to reading this one. It always seems rare to find a YA book that has writing that can be considered 'rich' so that makes me even more curious about it. Great review and I'm adding this to my 'library hunt' list, lol.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments :) Feedback,recommends, you name it !